Are you looking for frugal living tips that still let you enjoy life?
Well, you are in luck because here are some frugal life hacks that can let you save money, but still, have fun!
What Is A Frugal Lifestyle?
Living a frugal lifestyle can mean different things to different people.
Wikipedia uses words such as prudent, sparing, thrifty, and economical to define frugality.
Now I wouldn’t call myself prudent, but I am frugal. I think living a frugal lifestyle means you are smart with your money!
Just as Benjamin Franklin said, “A penny saved, is a penny earned.”
The more money you save, the more money you have. So when you are smart with the money you already have, then the MORE money you will keep!
So to me, the meaning of living a frugal lifestyle means spending wisely.
CAN BEING FRUGAL MAKE YOU RICH?
The simple answer is no because you need to MAKE MONEY to be rich. In fact, you need multiple streams of income to be rich!
Even though living a frugal life may not make you rich, it will help you keep your money, therefore having more money.
In fact, the secret of staying wealthy is to live a frugal lifestyle.
Staying wealthy takes some discipline. Wealthy people know to invest their money wisely and save money when they can.
That is how they are able to build and maintain their fortunes!
Take Warren Buffet, for example, he is a billionaire and he lives an EXTREME FRUGAL LIFESTYLE!
“It’s not your salary that makes you rich, it’s your spending habits.”
— Charles A. Jaffe
Frugal Life Hacks With a Big Impact
Even though I am frugal, I still want to enjoy life.
My favorite thing to do is to go somewhere I have never been!
Using frugal life hacks lets me travel on a budget and try new things.
Life is short! You need to LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE every single day.
Taking adventures and living well on a budget can be done, you just have to know how to do it.
The fact is many people WASTE money every day on frivolous things. There are so many ways you can cut unnecessary expenses.
I know it can be tough to figure out how to save on a small budget but these frugal hacks can save you hundreds to thousands of dollars every single year.
Imagine what kind of adventure you could go on with an extra $1000 dollars!
Frugal Hacks For 2022
Frugal living tips for seniors and frugal life hacks for families on a budget!
Here is a list of FRUGAL LIFE HACKS to save money and cut corners without even thinking about it.
Don’t worry you won’t see a tip for cutting coupons, because I am more of “ain’t nobody got time for that” kind of girl.
These are real LIFE HACKS that can trick you into saving money.
If you just incorporate some of these hacks into your everyday life, you will SAVE MONEY without even realizing it!
Frugal Hacks To Save On Groceries
1. Buy Generic. Chances are it is the same product with a different label.
2. Grab Your Groceries From The Back Shelf. Do you always check the expiration date of your groceries? Well the later the expiration date is the higher the chance we have of consuming it before it expires.
I always grab my groceries from the back because the expiration date is better.
3. Shop Top and Bottom Shelves. Most stores use a smart marketing tactic of putting their most expensive items on the middle shelf, right at eye-level with the consumer.
So next time, check the top and bottom shelves for better prices.
4. Know The Dirty Dozen. We should all be buying clean organic food so we aren’t putting pesticides in our bodies. However, organic food can be quite expensive.
The dirty dozen is a list of 12 foods that we should always buy organic because the non-organic ones have the highest amount of pesticide residue.
Here is the dirty dozen food list: strawberries, spinach, kale, apples, nectarines, grapes, peaches, cherries, pears, tomatoes, celery, and potatoes.
5. Know The Clean Fifteen. Now that you know the foods you should always buy organic, here are the foods that you don’t have to worry about being organic because they retain very little if any pesticide residue.
The clean fifteen food list: avocados, sweet corn, pineapples, frozen peas, onions, papayas, eggplants, asparagus, kiwis, cabbages, cauliflower, cantaloupes, broccoli, mushrooms, and honeydew melons.
6. Use Ibotta When Grocery Shopping. Ibotta is an awesome app that is ALL about saving money. It is so simple to use and make Cash Back on Everyday Purchases!
Before you shop in-store or online, click your Ibotta app and see the store offers.
Then make your purchases and take a picture of your receipt for the app. This works with groceries, apparel, travel, and more!
7. Shop Your Pantry. Always check your pantry to see what foods you already have. Be creative! Make a pot-luck casserole!
8. Make Your Own Coffee. I love getting fancy coffees just like the rest of you, but we all know that those coffees add up. Make your delicious coffee at home!
Frugal Shopping Hacks
9. Scan Your Receipts for Cash Back. CoinOut is a legit app that pays you for every receipt you scan.
It was on Shark Tank and has over 10,000 positive reviews in the Appstore.
It simply takes 5 seconds to scan a receipt and get your money back.
Use this frugal hack to earn cashback on every single purchase!
10. Ask For Discounts. Many stores offer discounts for many things such as military, senior citizens, teachers, first-responder, homeschoolers, and more.
You should always ask, chances are if they don’t offer a discount, they may give you a 10% discount anyway. It’s happened to me 🙂
11. Shop Off-Season. The summer clothes go on sale in the fall, and the winter clothes go on sale in the spring.
12. Shop the Back. Most stores have all their markdowns and clearance items in the very back of the store. Remember to not buy items just because they are on sale, only buy what you need.
13. Price Match. Most retailers offer a price match policy. You can find some really great deals that way!
One time I got a Keurig for 80% off because they price matched a typo in a competitor’s sales ad 🙂
I knew it must have been a typo and so did the manager, but it was their policy to do the match.
14. Shop Online. The chances are if you shop online you have less chance of impulse buying things you don’t really need.
Anytime I make a purchase online, I check to see if the store is listed on Rakuten then I click thru to the store and make my purchase.
It takes 10 seconds, and you will earn dollars for those seconds! You can either get paid by check, PayPal or gift cards.
Get a $10 bonus when you sign up for Rakuten because it is one frugal hack that can save you hundreds of dollars!
15. Be A Mystery Shopper. An easy way to earn free meals and products is to be a mystery shopper. Trust me, I have done it!
Bestmark is the leading mystery shopping company, ranked very positively with the BBB.
They work with Fortune 500 companies to learn about customer experiences, therefore, hiring people to be mystery shoppers.
Thru Bestmark, I have received free oil changes, free tire rotations, countless meals, and tech-freebies.
Apply here to see if you are the perfect candidate to be a mystery shopper. It is free to sign up and you can choose the assignments that are the most appealing to you.
16. Target Frugal Hacks. Do you shop at Target? I do most of my everyday item shopping through Target.
They have such a simple app that lets you do your shopping online then you just go pick it up.
My frugal hacks for Target include using the Target Red Card and Target Circle. Red Card is linked to your debit card and gives you discounts EVERY TIME you use it.
Target Circle is a discount program that is built right into the app. Not only does Target Circle offer discounts it gives you cash back on all purchases.
17. Get Refunds. Have you ever bought something and then it goes on sale the next day?
Well, some stores offer a 14-day price adjustment guarantee.
You will need to call their customer service and they will usually put the money right back on your credit card.
18. Invest Your Spare Change. The Acorns app is a nifty little app that helps you save and invest money. It merely rounds up your spending to the next dollar and invests the difference.
You can choose which transactions you want to be included in the “round up” or even just set a monthly amount. This little frugal hack lets you save money without even thinking about it.
19. Shop With Free Gift Cards. Save up gift cards to do all your shopping practically for FREE. Here is a list of easy ways to earn free gift cards.
20. Only Use Cash. Limit swiping your card on unnecessary expenses by only using cash. If you just use cash, then you know exactly what you have and what you can spend.
Frugal Hacks For Dining Out
21. Check For Deals. There are so many entertainment possibilities offered through Groupon.
I have used them to buy discount concert tickets, spa days, wine-tasting events, beach accommodations, and dine out at delicious restaurants.
Groupon has saved me thousands of dollars and still let me enjoy life!
Sign up for Groupon, because they also send out promo codes to all new members to save even MORE money!
*You can sign-in to Rakuten before signing in to Groupon for an added discount
22. Kids Eat Free. If you have kids then you can save a ton of money going to restaurants that offer the infamous “Kids Eat Free” promo.
Check out this list of restaurants that let the kiddos dine for FREE.
23. Go Early. Most restaurants offer early-bird specials and happy hour discounts. So go early and save.
24. Split Meals. We all know most restaurants’ portions are large enough for two, so why not save some money and split your meal.
Frugal Hacks For Home
25. Cancel Subscriptions. Chances are you have signed up for a lot of unnecessary things that you don’t really use.
Trim is a financial app that helps you save money effortlessly.
This little app is fantastic because it can negotiate your cell phone bill, cancel unwanted subscriptions, and it even has a debt payoff calculator.
Not only that, but Trim can also get refunds on your cable/internet bills if there is an outage!
Sign up FREE and see how much money you can save!
26. Switch Cell Phone Plans. Let’s face it we are very dependent on our cell phones. They also can be a huge drain on our bank account.
With the large cell phone companies merging, the competitive prices seemed like a thing of the past.
Well, let me tell you there are still cell phone companies that CAN offer competitive pricing just like the good ol’ days.
Tello offers UNLIMITED talk, text, and data for only $39/month.
Mint Mobile offers UNLIMITED talk & text and 2GB of 4G data for only $15/month.
So choose the plan that is right for you and make the switch, I did!
27. Have A Meatless Monday. If you are already vegan then you can skip this option. Not only will going meatless save you money, but it is also a healthy option that will reduce your risks of chronic diseases.
Check out all the benefits at this website dedicated to the Meatless Monday movement.
28. Wash Clothes In Cold Water. Washing in cold water is excellent at removing sweat stains and it saves on energy costs.
Not only can you save money from not using the hot water tank, but the dryer also will not have to work as hard because your clothes will be less wrinkled.
29. Use Dryer Balls. Now some people will say a frugal hack would be to hang your clothes outside. I don’t know about you, but that’s not an option for most of us.
So a little frugal hack I use that is also a healthier alternative is to use wool balls in my dryer. They are cheap, reusable, and don’t have the nasty chemicals that dryer sheets have.
30. Use A Smart Thermostat. We use a smart thermostat to control our home’s heating and cooling. Since installing it last year we have saved almost $1000 on our electric bill!
31. Just Say No To Bottled Water. Bottled water should be a crime! Not only is it ridiculously overpriced (I mean it is water after all) but the plastic bottles are polluting our earth!
32. Pay Attention To Your Bills. Always scan your bills and bank statements for any mistakes. Unfortunately, it happens more than we realize and it is your responsibility to call them out on it.
33. Exercise At Home. Honestly, I don’t like going to the gym. It is expensive and it takes so much time in getting ready to go, sign in, sweat in front of strangers, and the list goes on.
For me, it is less time and effort to put on my favorite workout video at home.
I use Amazon Prime workout videos because they have so many options and taught by trained instructors.
You can try them out for free or you can just look up a great workout video on YouTube.
34. Unplug Electric Devices. Unplugging your appliances that you are not using can save you a couple of hundred dollars a year.
There is nothing in my kitchen EVER plugged up unless I need to use it. Another added benefit is it protects your appliances from power surges.
35. Make Your Own Cleaning Products. Not only is making your own cleaning products cost-effective, but it is also a healthier version that doesn’t leave chemical residue all over your home.
Check out these 6 recipes for DIY all-purpose cleaners using vinegar and essential oils.
36. Rent Out Your Extra Space. If you have an extra room or even just your couch you can list it on Airbnb.
I know people that have rented out their whole home for a weekend and stayed with friends to earn an extra $1000.
You can rent it out for a day, weekend, or even longer. Check it out to see how much you can make in your area, you may be surprised.
37. Get a Side Hustle. Chances are if you already have a job then you don’t have much time for a side hustle. You will need to find something that pays the best in a limited amount of time.
Lucky for you, I have rounded up some flexible side hustles that pay well.
38. Refinance Your Loans. Most of us have student loans, car loans, and mortgages. The market goes up and down all the time.
You may have taken out that loan during the high-interest period. Check out Credible.com to see if you can refinance for a much lower rate.
Checking your rate will NOT affect your credit score and can be done in minutes. Credible offers the best offer guarantee, meaning if you find a better offer then they will pay you $200.
39. Pay Your Bills On Time. Late fees can be such an avoidable expense. I try to pay my bills as soon as I get them. Always try to pay your bills in full to avoid interest charges as well.
40. Blackout. Use blackout curtains to help keep the temperature in your home regulated.
41. Learn How To Be Handy. For simple repairs, you probably can do them yourself. Simply google it or watch a YouTube video and save yourself hundreds of dollars.
43. Work From Home. Save on gas and work from home. If you don’t have a job that lets you telecommute, check out this list of 25 Legit Work From Home Jobs.
44. Recharge. Use rechargeable batteries when you can.
45. Invite Friends Over. Instead of meeting friends out, invite them over. Play games, make fun lists, listen to music, and have great conversations. You will both save money!
Frugal Life Hacks For Travel
46. Skip The Hotel. Instead of costly hotel accommodations check out options at Airbnb.
47. House-Sit. Be a house-sitter and have free accommodations. Check out TrustedHousesitters for listings near your next destination.
48. Compare Prices. When researching flights, I love that Booking.com has them all conveniently listed with available dates and rates to compare easily.
49. Be Private. Turn on your private browsing when searching for flights so the price doesn’t inflate.
50. Always Carry-On. You will save time and money if you don’t have to check a suitcase. Knack Packs are awesome carry-on bags designed for travelers with tons of hidden storage.
51. Vacation In The Off-Season. Beat the crowds and the prices by vacationing in the offseason.
Frugal Life Hacks To Save Money
See frugal living doesn’t make you change your lifestyle, it just makes you more aware of where your money goes.
It is about living a life that matters to you, instead of a life social media tells you that you need to have.
Not only is it good for your finances, but consuming less is good for our environment.
Frugal living is a way of life we should all embrace.
One of the best parts about living a frugal lifestyle is knowing you will be financially prepared for anything that comes your way, whether that be a home emergency or an impromptu trip to somewhere amazing.
If you want to stay up-to-date on new Money Hacks then sign up here to never miss a chance to add some cash to your pocket!